Growing Broccoli Garden Seeds
- Latin Name: Brassica oleracea
- Days to Maturity: 85 days
- Hardiness Zone: 2-11
- Planting Depth: 1/2 inch
- Plant Spacing: 12-18 inches
- Row Spacing: 18-30 inches
- Growth Habit: Heirloom broccoli seeds grow to a 24-30″ tall mounded brassica with a 24″ spread of 4-8″ heads
- Soil Preference: Organically rich, fertile, well-drained
- Temp Preference: 40-70F
- Light Preference: Full Sun
- Diseases/pests: Heirloom Brassica oleracea var. italica is susceptible to brassica pests including cabbage worms and cabbage loopers and watch regularly for flea beetles, aphids, and thrips. Watch for leaf spotting and yellowing.
- Color: Waltham 29 broccoli boasts classic blue-green floret and greens
- Flavor: Timeless crisp, crunchy, and earthy broccoli florets
While most people only eat the tree like heads, you can also eat the stalks as they provide lots of nutrition and tons of flavor. Try stir frying the stalks in your favorite seasonings for a healthy meal or side dish.